I have fallen in love again!!
With Girish Karnad as Verghese Kurien in Shyam Benegal's 'Manthan'.
I had watched clips of the movie as a kid and was haunted by the lilting melody of 'Mero Gaam Katha' sung by Preeti Sagar. She went on to win the National Award for this song. She happens to be a personal favourite because she sang a collection of Nursery Rhymes which I loved like anything as a kid.
Today, I watched the movie from Amul's site and was very impressed. The movie had a stellar cast comprising Girish Karnad, Mohan Agashe, Naseeruddin Shah and Smita Patil. There is no point in trying to describe how good a movie is. You have got to see it for yourself.
I looked up Dr. Kurien on Wiki. Here's what I found:
Verghese Kurien (born November 26, 1921 at Kozhikode, Kerala) is called the father of the White Revolution in India. He is also known as the Milkman of India.
He was the chairman of the Gujarat Co-operative Milk Marketing Federation Ltd.(GCMMF). GCMMF is an apex cooperative organization that manages the Amul food brand. He is recognised as the man behind the success of the Amul brand. Amul had a revenue of $1b USD in 2006-07.
He is credited with being the architect of Operation Flood -- the largest dairy development program in the world. Kurien helped modernise Anand model of cooperative dairy development and thus engineered the White Revolution in India, and made India the largest milk producer in the world.
Attaching a clip courtesy Amul with glimpses of the movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW9DSUbZX34
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment