Friday, February 5, 2010

Just a week later. And I am completely in a different situation.

My back pain has suddenly worsened. I am not sure whether it is due to one particular incident or due to continued strain.

Incidents/actions which could have sparked off the back pain again:-

1. Walked for almost 4 - 5 hours in the Great Mall on 17th Jan, 2010

2. Tried to hold onto the umbrella in the face of a dreadful wind while walking to office from the parking lot - 18 to 22nd Jan 2010

3. Picked up a duster from the floor by bending down completely - 18 to 22nd Jan 2010

4. Helped S in packing on 21st - 22nd Jan 2010

5. Riding in A's very bumpy car from home to office - 25th Jan 2010 - till date

6. Forceful jerk as A stopped for a red light just in the nick of time - 25th - 28th Jan 2010

7. Taking my back for granted following the advice of the great Anthony Alvarado.

I am in a big emotional and physical mess right now.

I went to see Alvarado again this week - who took out a series of X-Rays. The lady who took the X-Rays told me that I had a fracture in the back. Alvarado simply brushed it away - gave me some pain medication and asked me to see a physio.

Now I am in a situation where I am told by the lab assistant that I have a fracture, am taking medication for muscle spasm and might be starting off exercises for sciatica!!

R today advised me to see a doctor from Stanford - but they can only give me an appointment after 16th March!! The medical system here in the USA simply sucks. I have never ever been allowed to see my own reports.

I am planning to see a Dr. Wendy Flapan next Tuesday which is 3 days from now and I plan to ask her two page full of questions. Hope she answers them. I would also ask her to take out an MRI scan and diagnose for sure what my problem is, how long is the pain supposed to last and if and what are the long term consequences.

In my day to day life, I have gotten myself a firmer chair with a lumbar pad fastened separately. They also got me a footrest. It's a lot more comfortable than the earlier chair. Deanna Lilly of HR helped me very nicely. I am grateful to her.

I have also mailed SIRVA - my accomodation provider with a request for changing my mattress.

All I need to do now is

1. See a new doctor - preferably the one refered by R

2. Start physiotherapy if the new doctor corroborates that my fracture has healed well enough to sustain it.

3. Procure the medical records - the X-Ray Plates precisely, from Alvarado's office.

S will be back this weekend. That gives me some comfort. Life is very very difficult in a foreign country when you are sick and living all by yourself. You are virtually at the mercy of the inconsiderate doctors and your colleagues.

The Cancer Institute of America has issued an advertisement which ran something like 'Celebrate each birthday since birthday's are not something you can take for granted'. So true....Last week I was so full of where to vacation in India - what I would shop etc. And then life presents you with a poser - would I be able to stand on my own two legs and walk around?

Hoping for the best while believing the worst....adieu :(

No comments:

Post a Comment