Thursday, November 19, 2009

An Ode to Cupcakes


Cupcakes!!
Why had I not discovered this marvel when I last visited USA?
Google describes a cupcake as 'A small cake baked in a paper container shaped like a cup, often with icing on top'. Interestingly enough, this term is also used for 'an attractive young woman' :)
The definition is an understatement. This cake inspires thoughts in me that no man ever could!!
I am especially crazy about the messy butter-cream icing on top.
I first heard cupcakes mentioned in 'Wizards of Waverly Place' - a popular soap on Disney Channel. But, it took the birthday of one of the auditors here to make me realize that this American cupcake is not anything like it's dull Indian brother.
This lady brought over a posse of cupcakes. I whimsically picked up a white one. Little did I anticipate the culinary storm which would sweep me off my feet. The taste was beyond any other confection I had ever tasted. The cake had multicoloured beads in it and had a vanilla icing. I remember having prowled around in the kitchen area looking for leftover cake! Anybody who knows me can vouchsafe the fact that I am not fond of cakes in general.
On my birthday this month, my friend S asked me what I wanted as a gift. I asked her to get me cupcakes. Eventually, I could not procure cupcakes on my birthday. But, we fished out a gourmet cupcake boutique in the downtown area. We walked to the store on a weekend. There were only about 10 or so cupcakes left in the shop. We bought two of vanilla and two of 'fleur de sel'[see picture]. The latter was simply out of the ordinary with a typical salty-sweet flavour and a creamy texture.
Looking forward to many more cupcakes during my stay here!

1 comment:

  1. heavenly sensuously hilariously dangerously delicious........

    ReplyDelete